Halton House was commissioned by Alfred de Rothschild and completed in 1883. Since 1918 the house has served as the officers' mess for RAF Halton.
Grade II* listed, the house is designed in the style of a French chateau and is surmounted by an impressive lead clad belvedere which was showing signs of decay.
GHK Architects were appointed along with Structural Engineers Sinclair Johnston to investigate and then prepare proposals for dismantling and repair of the timber and wrought iron support structure. The work involved detailed analysis of the early iron framing and off site repair.
Reconstruction incorporated amendments to the original detailing to improve waterproofing and ventilation whilst maintaining the original profiles and mouldings.